Continental launch two new gravel tyres, the Terra Speed and the Terra Trail
Continental, in their words, have thrown their hat into the gravel bike market with the launch of two brand new gravel tyres, the Terra Speed and the Terra Trail for the adventure riders among us.
- Buyer's guide to gravel & adventure bikes - everything you need to know
- The best gravel and adventure bikes you can buy for under £1,000
- The best gravel and adventure bikes you can buy for under £2,000
The two new knobbly tyres from Conti, both carrying the 'Terra' prefix are both ‘TR’ tubeless ready tires, both come in 650B and 700c options both use the companies Black Chili Compound and all feature their ProTection Technology.
Available in two sizes, 650 x 40B (440g) and 700 x 40C (460g), TERRA Trail has an aggressive tread pattern, offering smaller centre section knobs with larger shoulder knobs that Continental says is designed to be used across a multitude of terrains, from tarmac, gravel, muddy trails and other surfaces. From the photos, the stepped shoulder knobs look like they might be better for wetter conditions.
As the name suggests, TERRA Speed is the faster tire in the range due to the less knobbly tread pattern, generating less rolling resistance. This tyre is available in four sizes: 650 x 35B (390g), 650 x 40B (400g), 700 x 35C (400g) and 700 x 40C (420g). Conti says this is the tyre for rides and races in dry, dusty and loose conditions.
The ProTection technology involves a thicker tyre casing tread with 240 TPI over the top and 180 TPI through the side walls. Black Chili compound used in the tread is Conti's tackiest option.
Both new tires are available to buy now in shops, cost €57.90 (we will get the price in pounds soon) and get some in for test shorty!
You might also like:
- The best titanium gravel and adventure bikes you can buy
- The best money-no-object gravel and adventure bikes we've tested
- Buyers guide to mountain bike tyres - get the best rubber for your MTB