LCP

What do you want to see more of on off-road.cc?

Jon Woodhouse

Editor Jon here - we thought we'd christen our new forum by asking our lovely readers (that's you) what you'd like to see more of on the site and where you think we should go with our coverage.

Do you want more reviews? If so, what sort of thing and at what sort of price?

Do you want more how-to guides? On what sort of subject?

We're also planning to introduce a whole new area of the site that will help you find cool places to ride and give you all the info you need, so if you've any hot tips or suggestions for places we should cover, do let us know.

I look forward to hearing from you!

14 comments

5 years 5 months ago

Andrew5050 wrote:

Tyre tests please! I want to know what tyre I should use and when. I know a good set will transform my ride but I just don't know what to go for and when! 

Jon Woodhouse's picture
5 years 7 months ago

SimonTuck wrote:

I've been a roadie for years. Most of the kit is self-explanatory. MTB and it's various tiers seem to have a lot of different 'stuff' 

I'm wondering if I 'need' full sus, what the different dropper post options are (I think I've figured out what they're for), why you need remote lockouts (which almost takes me back to why I need full sus). What do I wear, body armour!! Frame protection, footwear.

At the moment I'm looking for 'beginner' sessions in various formats, hoping to discover whether I like trails, dh, XC, etc. I've ridden bikes of various guises through the woods and forests as a child and young adult, but never really took it further. A recent go on Redbridge Cycling Centre's  'off-road' tracks brought back the thrill of jumping and zig-zagging my way through dirt tracks, but I don't really know where to start. Joining a club is next on my list. 

That's a cracking idea that is. We'll get to work on some "Do you need....?" type articles very soon Smile

SimonTuck's picture
5 years 7 months ago

I've been a roadie for years. Most of the kit is self-explanatory. MTB and it's various tiers seem to have a lot of different 'stuff' 

I'm wondering if I 'need' full sus, what the different dropper post options are (I think I've figured out what they're for), why you need remote lockouts (which almost takes me back to why I need full sus). What do I wear, body armour!! Frame protection, footwear.

At the moment I'm looking for 'beginner' sessions in various formats, hoping to discover whether I like trails, dh, XC, etc. I've ridden bikes of various guises through the woods and forests as a child and young adult, but never really took it further. A recent go on Redbridge Cycling Centre's  'off-road' tracks brought back the thrill of jumping and zig-zagging my way through dirt tracks, but I don't really know where to start. Joining a club is next on my list. 

Rachael Wight's picture
5 years 11 months ago

We'll get on that. We've got some new Continental tyres coming in May and some Maxxis tests coming up too. In the meantime check out - http://off.road.cc/content/buying/buyers-guide-to-mountain-bike-tyres-728 to get you started!

5 years 11 months ago

Tyre tests please! I want to know what tyre I should use and when. I know a good set will transform my ride but I just don't know what to go for and when! 

Rachael Wight's picture
5 years 11 months ago

Thanks! We have a raft of cheaper bikes coming in for test and will look into more clothing and kit. We have the whole range of dhb Clothing to be reviewed soon which seems to be the best value clothing available at the moment. We can definitely include more comparisons in our review text - is there anything you specifically want to know the difference between? 

5 years 11 months ago

I’d like to see reviews of less expensive gear/bikes that just gets on with the job. Also as a lot of us are not pro’s I’d like to know why I should by tyre B over tyre A (for example).

Its all about balance but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. Keep it up

Jon Woodhouse's picture
5 years 11 months ago

one_bad_mofo wrote:

Not more of, but less of. Today, the forum seems to be populated with spam. You really need to get some moderation going on. 

Hmm, that was quite the outbreak from our little spambot friend - should all be gone now...

5 years 11 months ago

Not more of, but less of. Today, the forum seems to be populated with spam. You really need to get some moderation going on. 

Jon Woodhouse's picture
5 years 11 months ago

therideabides wrote:

i realize this may not fly but i'm starving for good places here in the UK to visit to shop for mid- and higher-range bikes, check out good kit, ride demos, etc. my personal preoccupation these days is fat bikes -- yeah yeah, i know, so 2015 of me -- and i think i could count the candidate shops i know of on one hand and have fingers left over to carry my cuppa back to my workstation. so yeah, visits to and profiles of good gear-head shops would be lovely.

Hmm, that's a good shout - we certainly get up and down the country frequently enough to visit plenty of them...

5 years 11 months ago

i realize this may not fly but i'm starving for good places here in the UK to visit to shop for mid- and higher-range bikes, check out good kit, ride demos, etc. my personal preoccupation these days is fat bikes -- yeah yeah, i know, so 2015 of me -- and i think i could count the candidate shops i know of on one hand and have fingers left over to carry my cuppa back to my workstation. so yeah, visits to and profiles of good gear-head shops would be lovely.

Jon Woodhouse's picture
5 years 11 months ago

We've got a load of really good value-for-money stuff lined up for review soon - the Two3 hardtail and Bossnut full susser from Go Outdoors, a trail hardtail from Cube and hopefully a whole load of the as-yet-unreleased Boardman 2018 range. Stay tuned.

As for clothing and kit, we'll get on the case. Summer beckons so we'll line up some affordable riding clothes as soon as we can get out without getting soaked... 

5 years 11 months ago

Always interested in more reviews - especially of some of the more mid-range stuff you don't see in other placec. You're going to ask me for specific examples now aren't you? I'm thinking sub-£100 jackets, bikes under £1500? I'd like to know about stuff that packs a lot of bang for the buck - though I'm aware that ones man's mid-range is anothers high end, and yet another's cheap as chips… Tricky.

5 years 11 months ago

Hi Jon as a regular reader of your site since summer last year I like what I've seen so far although I would be interested to read more about suspension bikes for mortals - those with £2000 or less in their pockets or even £1500. I haven't bought a new suspension bike for 8 years and am out of the loop with modern geometry situation, what do I need and how much travel should I aim for? I mostly ride trail centres and only occasionally go somehwere t/rougher. That Vitus Sommet looks nice but there must be other options from more mainstream brands that I can see in my local store. 

And big thumbs up for all the Gravel stuff, I've been doing that for years on a CX bike definitely the most useful all-rounder I've had.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Add comment