LCP

Specialized 2021 Stumpjumper (Comp Alloy) sizing

Yearofthegoat

Just read the first ride review and it seems like it might be the bike for me, so thanks for writing that up.

However, I'm 5'9/174cm tall with an 80cm inside leg and according to Spesh I can choose between S3 and S4.

I ride a variety of stuff. By percentage the most would be longer distance trails (say 20 miles with the family on forest trails) but I want a bike that will cope with some jumps and bumpy downhill trails if necessary.

My two concerns are 1) getting the wrong size and 2) getting suspension that bobs too much when we're off on one of Nick Cotton's routes(!)

(Other bikes I've looked at are Orbea H20, Vitus Escarpe VRX, basically ones that can lockout or stiffen up the suspension).

What's best to do?

3 comments

3 years 5 months ago

Rachael Wight wrote:

Hey, Sorry I missed this one! The Occam's look pretty cool, I'd like to ride one too so I'll be keen to see what you have to say about it!

No worries. It arrived with a poor setup from Tredz, but they covered the cost of getting it done at a LBS, which to be fair is a better (quicker) way to make things right. The guy in the bike shop's first impression was 'that's huge for you' - but, having got out for my first proper ride yesterday morning, with respect I think he's wrong and Orbea are right.

It felt good in terms of reach - but then I'm coming from a '94 GT Tequesta which is much more stretched out, with a 'down to the handlebars' position - and there's no problem with the stack. At 174cm I can't make full use of the 150mm dropper, but that's okay; I'm at the lower part of Large after all. With that fully down, I can easily get over or even off the back if need be.

The gearing's great. (Shimano XT 8100 12x). I was worried about not having enough low down having had 3x7 on my old bike, but not a problem with 12x and its enormous big sprocket.

The 29" wheels do seem huge at the moment (26" on the old bike), but between them and the suspension, the Occam seems to glide over everything. I haven't yet been down anything really gnarly but small root chatter is soaked up no problem and no pogo-ing that I noticed. Am actually loving the Fox suspension after having a full rigid for so long.

I haven't missed the bar ends(!), but I haven't done a big climb yet. The toe-clips are another matter - I use them a lot of the time on my Tequesta, particularly at the end of the day when legs are tired and pulling instead of pushing seems as good as a rest. But then again, the Occam's a totally different bike, for a different kind of riding. And if I really want to I could add them later.

I'm off now to look for some mudguards - got totally cacked up earlier - and to find out what Lockdown2 means for getting out some more.

BTW, I got myself a Smith Convoy helmet after reading your review (MET Roam broke and couldn't be replaced as no stock) and it's been great so far; thanks for the helpful review.

Rachael Wight's picture
3 years 5 months ago

Hey, Sorry I missed this one! The Occam's look pretty cool, I'd like to ride one too so I'll be keen to see what you have to say about it!

3 years 6 months ago

All moot now as I've ordered an Occam H20 2021.

Their sizing is different from lots of other mfrs, but puts me clearly in the Large bracket. There are several posts on the interwebs saying the Medium bikes were a bit cramped for people 170-180, so fingers crossed it'll be okay.

Should be with me next week, just in time for the Second Lockdown.

If I get organised I'll post up a review when it arrives.

Add comment