LCP

Cargo Trailer

GMBasix

Does anybody use a cargo trailer for touring?  I'm considering a trailer that I can use on different bikes, a mix of QR and through axles.
The intended use is for touring, on and off road, but it will also double for shopping trips.

For touring and commuting I tend to use panniers rather than bike-packing bags.  Upcoming trips will include cycling for long approaches to mountain walking, for which I will be carrying separate kit in addition to cycling gear.  I don't like wearing a rucksack on the bike for comfort and it ends up straining my back, plus it won't hold what I need to cycle, camp/bothy overnight, and go walking, all in the same trip.  Panniers fit on a touring bike but not my mountain bike.  As I'll be going with a friend, I think a trailer will help to carry some of the stuff we both need, and I'm not ruling out adding some bikepacking bags on a mountain bike.

I've looked at several trailer options.  Given the off-road excursions, I think single-wheel suits me better (doesn't bother me too much for shopping, although two-wheeled trailers might arguably be better and cheaper for that). 

Bob Yak/Ibex trailers seem to be like hen's teeth and priced accordingly.  The Topeak Journey seems like a slightly more accessible version, but still pricey.  The M-Wave equivalent seems to be a budget equivalent of those, but will it last?  What else should I consider?  Do they each have versatile couplings (or options to add) to switch between QR and Through-Axle?

What's your experience?

Add comment