LCP

Bikepacking… anybody tried it?

muckypup

I really like the idea of this, but I've not ever actually done it - has anybody on here? And if I was going to give it a go, what's the most basic bit of equipment I'd need?

2 comments

6 years 1 week ago

I've been doing a bit here and there for a few years.  First with some more experienced friends and then on my own but meeting people at the destination and then finally on my own. A very useful learning curve.

Starting off - I'm assuming no rucksack/backpack use here.

What you need to work out is where you are going to sleep and what you are comfortable in. Can you cope with a bivvy done-up over your face or do you need to rig a tarp on something over your open bivvy so your face doesn't get wet if it rains? Inside the bivvy is the best for waterproof but can be a faff to get in and out of in wet weather depending on the way it does up. Having a tarp rigged to wall or tree or bike over the open end of your bivvy makes it all much easier. I know some people that use Hammocks, but they are pitch dependent, i.e. you need trees.  If you are going with friends splitting a small 2 or 3 man tent between you can be just as easy. 

Practice your pitching before you go so you can do it in the dark when you are tired. 

I use a fairly light synthetic bag that doesn't mind the damp and a thermal liner for warmth if required. As for the mattress, I use one that I have to inflate myself but it's small and under 400g. I always pack a beanie and a very light puffer jacket for added warmth in cooler months. The sleeping stuff all fits in my front bag and the beanie and jkt go into the seatpack.

What else to carry? Food and some form of heating water if you want the luxury of a hot drink/meal. There are lots of lightweight cooking devices on the market some integrated with drinking eating container and others requiring a separate kit. These can be fitted in the seatpack or if you have the option anything-cage-mounts, on the forks.

After that, it's about trying to fit in tools, sporks, water, food and spare clothes in any and all the bags you have got. This takes practice and a lot of packing and repacking. I spent/d lots of time faffing and repacking before I go and generally take more than I need.

Oh and GPS and Lights - that's up to you but don't forget power pack if you don't have a dyno front wheel which I don't.

I've probably forgotten loads but check out other peoples kit images online for ideas of what you can do. Josh Ibbet or Markus Stitz are experts and have good lists and pictures of what they have used I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Whatever you do, no matter how far you travel, have fun, enjoy it and keep doing it.

6 years 2 weeks ago

I've done a bit, never anything epic but half the fun is that it doesn't need to be epic to be an adventure. mostly been a case of riding out to the hills, sleeping under a tarp and riding home. you really don't need much stuff to do that: a tarp, a sleeping bag, a hip flask and a torch is about the minimum requirement Smile

I normally take a cheap gas stove, an aeropress and some bacon too. you can lash the sleeping bag to your bars and everything else will fit in a seatpack.

Add comment